The Beyond Access Myanmar project aims to support Myanmar’s libraries so they can serve more people with critical information and services. Our vision is that libraries will be centered around active librarians and welcoming spaces, and provide up-to-date materials and public access to the internet. The project focuses on training librarians, helping them to develop new services and support their communities to increase information literacy. It also aims to maximize the impact of public access technology and internet, and develop a long-term strategy to promote community literacy.
- Expand access to the internet and ICT training throughout the country
- Support libraries in using technology for education
- Boost online access to news and government information
- Develop capacity of libraries to provide relevant information and community services
- Demonstrate and showcase partnerships that can foster relevant models for modern libraries in Myanmar
Training and workshops
Train librarians in information facilitation skills, including community needs assessment, information literacy, development of new services and maximizing the value of public access technology and internet. A select group of librarians will be chosen for advanced leadership training in spring 2015.
Ooredoo will provide tablet computers, 3G routers and fast mobile internet access to 55 libraries throughout Myanmar.
Partner with government and civil society to employ public libraries as a development asset, helping agencies and organizations use libraries as a base to offer services to communities.
Promote community literacy
Develop a long-term strategy for ensuring up-to-date literacy materials in relevant languages are provided through all libraries – particularly through the use of technology – by convening publishers and other stakeholders.
- Partnering with Ooredoo to Drive Access to Information in Myanmar October 2014
- Myanmar’s Librarians Get a Fresh Start February 2014
- New Survey Reveals Promise of Myanmar’s Libraries in Transition February 2014
- New Partnership to Lay Out Vision for Libraries in Myanmar October 2013
- Credibility: The Next Challenge in Myanmar’s Information Revival July 2013
- Will Grassroots Libraries get lost in Myanmar’s Frenetic Transition? July 2013
- A Place for Public Libraries in Myanmar’s Future? February 2013
- Beyond Access Salon in Yangon: What are Myanmar’s Information Needs in the 21st Century? February 2013
- Aung San Suu Kyi meets the Beyond Access team in Myanmar February 2013
- Are We Ready For This Yet? Beyond Access Day 1 in Myanmar February 2013
- Beyond Access Heads to Myanmar February 2013